Very Uncommon And Overlooked Tree

Looking to plant a tree in your garden? Then, I truly recommend you consider a Fringe Tree (Chionanthus Virginicus).

When we planted ours 10 years ago, it was 3 feet tall. Today, it stands about 7 feet tall. It's a very slow grower which I find attractive because living in downtown Montreal, I don't want to find myself having to deal with a monster tree whose height can be problematic...... casting too much shade, sucking up all the moisture in the soil, getting tangled in utility wires, etc. This was the ideal choice for me. And even better, it's really not a fussy plant....... grows in average good soil and requires basically no maintenance throughout the year. But it likes to have lots of sun ! So, find a sunny spot in your garden/yard. Unfortunately, my Fringe Tree gets just enough sun in the backyard...... I'm sure it would prefer more.


It's a multi-stemmed tree and grows in a vase shape.

Chionanthus Virginicus

The flowers are like delicate fringes. It's enchanting fragrance is Jasmin-like.

Chionanthus Virginicus Flowers

Sorry for the horrible photos. Please use your imagination. :-)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

  © Blogger template Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP