My Clematis "Yukikomachi" Is Alive . . . . Sweet!

Clematis "YUKIKOMACHI": Poetess of the SnowLast week, I was putzing around in the back garden weeding, staking plants and what-not, when I noticed this tender shoot. At first, I thought it was just another weed. Then, my gardener's instinct kicked in. NO WAY! Is that what I think it is? I couldn't believe my eyes. She's alive!
Last spring, I had ordered a much sought-after Japanese clematis from my favorite on-line supplier, Gardenimport.com. All was in good order when I received it in the mail. The packaging was very elaborate and the 2-stemmed plant was very well protected. There I was, all excited and already fantasizing what the blooms would look like. Two days after I planted it in the ground, a squirrel decided to dig it up. In the process, both miniscule stems were broken off. Needless to say, I was very upset. I sunk the root ball back in the ground and protected the planting area with nylon netting..... to keep those scoundrels away. I was hoping against all odds that maybe the roots would keep the plant going and perhaps, a stem might develop later in the summer. This poor plant had no leaves, nothing. I was desperate and I had to at least try that.

Then, weeks, months and seasons passed. Life went on and I had forgotten all about it.

It's quite incredible that the roots managed to keep the plant going all last summer and then having to brave the cold and snow of our past winter. And, it survived, coming back with 1 strong stem. Isn't Mother Nature wonderful!

I'm in no rush. This clematis can take all the time she needs to mature because the photo below shows what I have to look forward to. She's a keeper!


YUKIKOMACHI: white sepals with a pale lavender edge

Japanese Clematis "YUKIKOMACHI"
Photo source: Gardenimport.com

Yukikomachi is the Japanese name.
Poetess of the Snow is its English name. (so zen....)
This clematis was hybridized by Chieko Kurasawa of Japan.


1 comments:

Ken Monday, June 09, 2008  

By the way, a fellow gardening enthusiast from Japan emailed to inform me that:

"YUKIKOMACHI" is a meaning of the beautiful young woman of the skin which is white like snow.
"YUKI" is snow, "KOMACH" is young beautiful woman (old Japanese word).

Thank you "H" for this info!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

  © Blogger template Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP